Monday 4 August 2014

Well overdue update!!

Welcome back!

Wow, I hadn't realised how long it's been since I wrote my first blog! I get into the situation where I just think I'll do it tomorrow; then by the time tomorrow comes there's something else I've got to do...

Anyway.. it's better late than never!

So where do I start - the last few weeks have been eventful that's for sure!

Bupa Great North 10K 

So much better than last year, I felt more confident before I left than I did last year for a start.
I got up quite early considering I din't get to bed very early, got dressed; made sure my Garmin was charged the night before; pinned my number to my t-shirt the night before too.
My breakfast was two Power Bars one on the way into town the other on the way into the stadium.
I wisely didn't drink too much that morning, but I did drink plenty the day before. I ran in my SweatShop SRC Yellow t-shirt, and I had my ipod and phone in my running belt. Checked I had everything else! I was ready to go! My friend Sarah picked me up and we made our way there together, and although it was a while we had to wait it did actually seem like time flew over.




I knew that after the start I'd be overtaken quite quickly so I just let it happen and tried not to trip anyone up when I slowed down to a fast march; I wanted to save some energy for the flatter parts so I was letting the hill carry me down and not push. At one point I was so distracted by the elites coming in the opposite direction I forgot I was actually running!! I kept a steady pace and was on target for a 1:20 finish... then that hill happened! I tried little steps but then my toes went numb!! I just kept pushing and pushing.. eventually I saw the stadium in sight.. I really wanted to run the entire lap to the finish; so I picked myself up and just kept going! 
In the end I got a PB of 1:30:09 - that's 3 minutes quicker than last year!!
Just over the moon! I wouldn't have minded it being a bit quicker but there's always next year! 
Very Proud in my t-shirt - which funnily enough I'm wearing as I type!

Training

Training for the Great North Run has been going pretty well too, not 5 days after finishing the 10k I went out and did another one....

Then a few 5k's under the belt.....

And the best PB on a 5k ever!! 

Have been feeling really good out there on my runs until.... I got a cold!!!!!! It couldn't have come at a worse time! It sucks!! I wanted to go out for my long run on Friday - I was due to do 8 miles... but no, I ended up having a bath and going to bed. I slept most of the day on Saturday and Sunday and today I made it out for what felt like the shortest but longest run ever...

This was only this evening; and I must say I do feel better for it!!

In other news....

So over the last few weeks I've been doing odd bits and pieces in preparation for the Great North Run, I've had my vest printed...

The Great North Run Facebook page have been running a competition, to take a selfie in front of the bridge with the sign on it.. so of course I've been going a little nuts, and this has been the result....
And no I can't believe it!!

I'm over the moon!!

I really hope to write more very soon; so sorry I've cheated a little bit but I hope I told the story well with my photos!

If you'd like to sponsor me you can do so by clicking right here....

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Hope to see you very soon!!

Chrissy xx

Running the Great North Run for 

1 comment: