Thursday 28 August 2014

Great North Run - 9 days to go!

Hello! Welcome back!

I know it's been a while since posting an update; but I've still been training hard.
In my last blog I wrote about recovering from a cold and getting back into training. Well it's not been easy since either. I've been trying my best up increase my mileage at the same pace as my 5 k but losing those two weeks hasn't made it an easy task at all.

After running a very quick 1.66 miles on the 11th with an average pace of 12:41 mpm, I was feeling very confident; my legs were feeling light and I managed it really well. I wanted more runs like this; where I run short but quick then long but steady.
I set off for 8 miles the following Wednesday, two days later; I really struggled. I though when I was out there that I was going very very slow, my legs were heavy, my shins were hurting, and I really didn't feel like I had anything in me to push any faster! I wasn't very warm when I set off but when the sun came out when I reached mile 3/4 it made it very warm and very uncomfortable. I'm so glad there are so many water stations on the main event day!

I finished my 8 miles with an average pace of 14:39 mpm which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have been aiming for under 14:30 mpm average for my long runs so it wasn't far off.
The following week I did the Quayside route and finished a 5k with an average of 14:06, this was hard work but I was pleased as I did manage a few short sprints in there to push myself.


It wasn't until bank holiday Monday that I was really disheartened by my progress. I set out to do 10 miles from Seaton Sluice to Tynemouth and back again. My first mile I felt OK; I was wearing a t-shirt under my vest as I hadn't realised how warm it was. This meant at mile 2 I started doing a weird contortionist-escapee-type-thing and wriggled out of the t-shirt under my vest. I didn't care what I looked like though I was far too hot to care!

I made the big mistake of not taking any water with me; it was sunny and very very warm! by time I got 4 miles in I had to stop at a cafe to get a glass of water. I was so glad they obliged! I took a few sips even though I wanted to down the lot and plodded on. I even discovered afterwards that I got a little sunburn!
Tynemouth was so busy and it was hard to keep any kind of pace with people walking right in front of me... I might not have been going very fast but you would have thought that the trainers and vest might have given them a clue that I was trying to run!

I decided not to run back along the coast way back and carried on along the road that runs parallel as it was a bit more in the shade and wasn't nearly half as busy. At mile 7.5 I was passing another cafe so I stopped and asked if it was OK for a glass of tap water. Thankfully he went straight to his fridge and gave me a bottle of water! I was so grateful at this moment you have no idea!! It really helped me get through the last two miles.

By this point I was getting a blister on my left foot and I was practically limping. When I finished I had only managed 9.55 miles and my average pace was 15:43 mpm well over a minute slower per mile than my goal pace.
It's so disheartening after training since February and after feeling so strong in July. I know that I'll enjoy it no matter what; I know the time doesn't matter to other people but I so wanted to show an improvement since last year. I know I can do a 5k quicker than ever before but I really wanted to prove it to myself with my pb.

So that brings me to my last run which was only last night, I went to Sweatshop running club and covered 2.77 miles with an average pace of 14:34 mpm. I started of quite slow but I managed to pick it up and just keep pushing.
I'm going back on Monday for the last run before the big one. I'm going to take it as easy as possible s I don't want to push too hard. then it's just a question of fueling, hydrating and resting.
I have my last appointment with Physio on Wednesday next week for a half hour treatment on the calves. I'm going to ask if she can tape up my left shin - just for my own peace of mind more than anything.

I'm looking forward to the Great North Run but I'm apprehensive - I've just got to get my confidence back up.

My mantra - "I've trained; I can do this"

I hope to write a new blog before the big run but if not I will be back with an update on how it went.

Please donate whatever you can - no amount too small!

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Thank you for reading!

Take care!

Chrissy 

Twitter@79bobbin


No comments:

Post a Comment