Tuesday 9 September 2014

Great North Run 2014 - Up's, Down's and everything in between, before and after!

Hello!

Welcome back everyone

I’ve been reflecting a lot over the run since Sunday; there have been reminders everywhere from on the TV watching it back yesterday to driving over the Tyne Bridge on the way to work this morning and still seeing the banner and Million sign on the side.
 
My last #bridgeselfie the day before the big day
I am also getting reminders every time I move!

We went along to the pasta party on Saturday afternoon after quickly nipping into town for a few last minute bits and pieces. We walked over the Millennium Bridge up to the car park where it was being held next to the Sage; where just a few days earlier my face was projected during the opening ceremony (more on that later!).
Waiting for pasta!
We waited in the queue for about 30 mins and wandered round the stalls; was mainly charities this year. We joined the queue for pasta; luckily this year as we were both running we got two bowls each! We then had a look at the other stalls and I got my photo taken with the Just Giving text code #sprintfinish frame. 

We wanted to go back in and have a wander round the stalls again but by this time the queue was so long it wouldn't have been worth it. By now the nerves were kicking in and I really just wanted to get home and get my kit ready!
Kit all ready to go!
We had a relaxed evening after getting everything together and tweeting it of course; we had yet more pasta and watched X Factor and got an early night. At this point I'm really trying not to over think it. I loved the fact that my parents had come to stay to see me finish but I was jealous they'd gone for a curry with my sister that evening! haha!

I woke up before my alarm on Sunday, I got up and put my make up on, went to the bathroom what felt like a million times; forced down a 9bar (which took me 4 times longer to eat than normal!), I plastered up my feet, got dressed sorted out what I was taking and putting in the rucksack my parents were taking. We eventually left at about 9:30am after getting our photos taken (something I didn’t do last year!). 
Ready to rock and run!
It was really only once we left the house I realised how hot it was! My parents dropped us off in town and we walked up to the start. It was here I realised I needed to loo again! I thought I'd just go in a bush once I got to the start pen as I remember how long I was waiting last year. 
So many people!!
I left Ant at pen C and we wished each other luck, met up with Sarah and Nicola; we left Nicola at the green pens I think. Made our way to pen J, it was so so so busy it wasn’t until 10:25 we got there; I just didn't think there was going to be enough time to go to the loo and the queue for the portaloo was huge! In hindsight I wish I'd just gone!
Selfie with Sarah!
As we started to move forwards I was getting my confidence up; Sarah and I had met a girl called Molly who was up from Lincoln I think and she was about the same pace as me so we decided to run together though I did say I didn't mind if she wanted to go ahead; it was nice to have some company at the start.

Then we went over the start line; we started at a steady 13mpm pace and I felt pretty good. The tunnels were amazing; the ‘Ogy ogy ogy's’ were really strong and loud and I joined in with every single one!! I was getting more and more excited that the Tyne Bridge was coming up I knew that I wanted to soak it in this year – it’s the iconic part of the Great North Run that I wanted to experience and remember. 
Getting goosebumps!!
Last year I was so preoccupied with how busy it was and being on the right side of the road to pass my sister and a wheelchair being behind me I didn’t really take it in the way I wanted to. So this year I made sure I looked up and took it in; I even took a selfie and a photo of the bridge with the sun in the back ground. 
Lost for words!
Selfie!!!
I’m so glad I did! I managed to keep a good pace up until about 4 miles then my knee started to hurt. I’d had a physio appointment on Wednesday and recommended that if I felt pain to walk. At this point I knew that it would be unlikely I’d get my PB and I wanted to enjoy it; so I made the decision to take a step back and do exactly that. I stopped caring about who was passing me, I started to look for a loo with no queue and I actually started to have chats with people along the way. I totally loved it!
Just passed half way!!
By mile 9 I was getting tired but just kept going; along the route when they handed out water I took it and didn’t let go of the bottle until I got a new one. I’d finished my lucozade and was ready for my next one and so far my Sports Beans had been very handy. For some reason John Reed Rd although still felt like it went on for far too long I knew exactly where I was thanks to my Garmin! I have never been so pleased to see the sea!!!! I knew I still had a mile but I kept going looking for my Parents, Ant and my sister. There they were shouting for me to keep running!! 
My Mum and Sister egging me on!
After I passed over the finish I was elated! I’d done it! For the second time! It was my second half marathon!!!! 
Hope to get my digital photos for Christmas so I replace this with the official one.
I quickly checked to see if the millionth runner had passed and they had; then I asked if Mo won, and he did. I collected my finishers pack and found Ant waiting for me by the finisher’s photo area. We had our photo taken together then a photo each and made our way down to meet the others at the Hearing Dogs tent. I met Ollie the Hearing Dog who is amazing!

I needed help getting up after this! haha
I’m so proud to have done it and to have raised £224 for Hearing Dogs who are an amazing charity.
I do want to run next year and I plan to continue to run weekly with Sweatshop Metro Centre. I’ll be taking two weeks off to allow my knee to recover then I’ll go back to running about twice a week to perfect my 5k time. I’m getting my knee looked at by a physio in a couple of months and I plan on entering a good few 5k runs next year as well as the Bupa Great North 10k then in September the Great North Run 2015.

Mission accomplished
I think it’s safe to say that I doubt I’ll run anything more than a half marathon; but I’ve well and truly caught the running bug.

Thank you so much to everyone who has shown me any kind of support....

To my amazing boyfriend and family for their full on support and encouragement during the highs low points of training. 
To my amazing friends who sent me cheer-squad texts, cards and video massages when I was doubting myself. 
To colleagues who might have said a was crackers for running but said they admired me for just doing it. 
To the friends along the route who shouted and waved and gave hugs (thanks Charlene, Andrea & Bernie). 
To everyone on Twitter who favorited and retweeted my many ramblings.
To Dawn at Physio Plus who tortured my calves to be able to train properly.
To the crowds and the kids on the way who don't know me but shouted my name anyway!!

I am inspired and encouraged by each and everyone of you!!

Jeez you'd think i'd won sodding Oscar!!!

Much love, (and tears now...)

Chrissy
xx
JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment